Every year I make a list of diverse books that I want to add to my classroom library.
I teach at a school with a very diverse student population and it's easily my favorte thing about what I do.
I've found that handing the right book to the right student--especially those who thought they aren't or never could see themselves represented in a book ever--is one of the most important connections I can make with a student. Diverse books make a difference in the lives of my students every day.
Just last year I had a student come to me enraged and disappointed because she wasn't able to find any books with queer girl main characters. I was able to hand her a few I had on hand, but this has definitely been a bit of a gap on my classroom shelf as well. Same for books about trans or genderqueer characters. I have a few I love and hand out often, but there's always more I feel I can do.
This year I want to expand my list especially as far as queer characters, POC, and characters with disabilities are concerned.
So here's a list of 25 diverse books I want to add to my classroom library in 2016/17:
- THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS - Marieke Nijkamp
- ON THE EDGE OF GONE - Corinne Duyvis
- OTHERBOUND - Corinne Duyvis
- WE ARE THE ANTS - Shaun David Hutchinson
- SYMPTOMS OF BEING HUMAN - Jeff Garvin
- IF I WAS YOUR GIRL - Meredith Russo
- LIES WE TELL OURSELVES - Robin Talley
- RUN - Kody Keplinger
- INK AND BONE - Rachel Caine
- THE WRATH AND THE DAWN - Renee Adieh
- YOU KNOW ME WELL - David Levithan and Nina LaCour
- ASK THE PASSENGERS - A.S. King
- WHEN WE COLLIDED - Emery Lord
- SERPENTINE - Cindy Pon
- THE ABYSS SURROUNDS US - Emily Skrutskie
- I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN - Jandy Nelson
- TELL ME AGAIN HOW A CRUSH SHOULD FEEL LIKE - Sara Farizan
- FAR FROM YOU - Tess Sharpe
- RADICAL - E.M. Kokie
- THE GREAT AMERICAN WHATEVER - Tim Federle
- THE PORCUPINE OF TRUTH - Bill Konigsberg
- THE STAR-TOUCHED QUEEN - Roshani Chokshi
- UNDER A PAINTED SKY - Stacey Lee
- HOW IT WENT DOWN - Kekla Magoon
- ALL AMERICAN BOYS - Jason Reynolds
Of course I feel like I've totally forgotten some. Drop me a comment with any other suggestions, please!
I'm especially looking for any YA featuring Polynesian characters. If you have ideas, please share them with me.